Gail and I wish to extend our heartfelt greetings to you as we anticipate another year of seeing and experiencing God’s magnificent handiwork in our lives and throughout the world.
It is common to reflect on the past year and set goals for the year ahead. This is all good, but I wanted to be more intentional this year to examine my decision-making foundation before establishing some goals.
Hebrews 12:1-3 is an instructive passage that gives us (at least) five influential reminders:
- We are not alone. A large crowd of witnesses who have gone before us are watching, observing, prompting, and encouraging us on our journey. This is so important as we face the struggles that come this side of glory!
- Be intentional and determined to get rid of sin in our lives. Anything that separates us from Christ must be peeled away. The key for me is to ask the Holy Spirit to shine His spotlight on the areas He wants me to surrender. He will never overwhelm us!
- Prepare to run wholeheartedly for Christ, not self. This requires preparation and heart examination. I love the concept of being a person who is wholeheartedly following Christ. I have a long way to go but I’m inspired to keep this goal in the forefront.
- Understand that a race is already set before us. This means I must pay closer attention to the Coach who has set this race, then stay focused. Training time with the One who set the race for me becomes essential to navigating the ups and downs of my course.
- Fix our eyes on Jesus, our Leader and Instructor who was willing to die a shameful death on the cross because of the joy He knew would be His. Let’s keep in focus His patience as men did terrible things to Him. He is the premier example of finishing the race, no matter how difficult it may be.
What is God directing you to do as you train with Him to run the race He personally set out for you this year?
These five influencers can ensure that the coming year will be filled with meaning, purpose, and satisfaction of our souls. This is what we were created for, and this is what will set this new year apart from past new years.